Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Shell Context Menu & Hex Editing?

Prasad Upasani
#1 | Posted: 2 Jul 2009 11:04 
Tried version 2.0 on Windows 7 64-bit. Two Still no explorer context menu to open in Twistpad? The Shell Context Menu Add-on apparently does not work on 64-bit systems. This is a big issue in my books given most new systems now come with 64-bit. Also, why even require a separate add-on? TextPad is fairly ancient and it includes an option to turn on the context menu out of the box and it works on all Windows versions. Please add this feature! This is the one reason I haven't been able to get rid of TextPad completely.

The other big missing feature is the ability to edit files in Hex mode.

Prasad Upasani
#2 | Posted: 2 Jul 2009 11:20 
Note the context menu is actually not too hard to add via the registry. My point is that this should be done via a Twistpad option instead of making users do this manually.

FYI, for anyone reading this, this registry key adds the right context menu for 64-bit systems (for 32-bit systems, just change the path to "Program Files"):

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\OpenWithTwistPad]
@="Open with TwistPad"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\OpenWithTwistPad\Command]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Twistpad\\Twistpad.exe \"%1\""

Andre Santos
Carthago
#3 | Posted: 3 Jul 2009 15:21 
Hi,

Thanks for trying 2.0 Beta 1.

The shell extension is a separate file (DLL file) to allow to be registered on the system. I could include it with the default installation, but it's openly available as a separate add-on, I don't think it's a big deal since it's easily available to download.

About the 64 bit issue, which you kindly offered an registry alternative (thanks!), it's not that simple since the code I got to create the shell extension only works in Win32 systems and did not found an alternative also compatible with Win64 ( I know this issue as been happening in some Delphi apps which bundle Shell Extensions). I never worried much because it was something user's never wished for. I will look into this.

(In fact Twistpad created a similar registry key before it had a separate add-on, but it was dropped because it created some issues in explorer)

Hex edit has always been a possibility, but personally I always thought it a bit out of the bounds of a text editor. I agree it could be something useful, but I must admit it's not something high on the wish list.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Shell Context Menu & Hex Editing?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.