Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Too... many.. suggestions...

Hydra
#1 | Posted: 13 Jan 2009 16:47 | Edited by: Hydra 
Heh :D

I've been after a new text editor for a while now and I'm pretty happy with Twistpad after an hour two of use so I thought I'd share with you the things that if fixed would probably make Twistpad the default text editor on my machines! Hope you find the suggestions (in the other topics) helpful and that you can implement them as soon as possible, the biggest one for me is the lack of accelerators on the Find dialog, I can live with everything else for now.

If you're interested in what made me try Twistpad I'll tell you what i was looking for in a text editor:

* First and foremost, an editor that doesn't look like it was written in 1995. (e.g. Ultraedit, PSPad, TextPad, E, Notepad++, etc)
* One that lets me position docking/tool windows where I want them.
* One that has built a built in, easy to use diff/compare functionality
* One that uses a tree menu in the preferences dialog rather than a million tabs!
* One that supports the main editor functionality that also appears in Eclipse.
* One that's new
* One that doesn't use bloatware libraries (mfc, borland, etc)

All I can say is AWESOME work so far, keep it up and keep the price as I feel that it's very reasonable given the amount of work that's obviously gone into this project so far.

Can I ask if you use any test driven development methodologies such as unit testing and integration testing in the project as knowing that you do would give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Cheers!

Dom

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 14 Jan 2009 16:40 
Hi Dom,

Thanks for your "many" suggestions, keep them coming !

Hydra wrote:
I've been after a new text editor for a while now and I'm pretty happy with Twistpad after an hour two of use so I thought I'd share with you the things that if fixed would probably make Twistpad the default text editor on my machines! Hope you find the suggestions (in the other topics) helpful and that you can implement them as soon as possible, the biggest one for me is the lack of accelerators on the Find dialog, I can live with everything else for now.

Thanks for your comments regarding Twistpad. I can't guarantee all your suggestions are implemented, we can discuss each one on the respective post. Find accelerators, most definitely done for next version.

Thanks also for your descriptive list on what attracted you to Twistpad. Twistpad is almost 1995, in fact it started as a in house project in 1998, only to be released to public as shareware in 2006, however, it was constantly developed, hence the modern looks and features someone expects from a modern text editor.

Hydra wrote:
All I can say is AWESOME work so far, keep it up and keep the price as I feel that it's very reasonable given the amount of work that's obviously gone into this project so far.

Thanks again for your comments regarding Twistpad. I'm feeling repetitive now... yes, it has a large amount of work, and honestly, it's not for the money... I never liked other editors out there (including those on your list), so i developed my own, which is used on a daily basis by a considerable number of people.

Hydra wrote:

Can I ask if you use any test driven development methodologies such as unit testing and integration testing in the project as knowing that you do would give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

I understand your concern, and as an Eclipse user you are certainly a fellow developer. Unfortunately Twistpad has no unit testing, Twistpad is written in Borland Delphi 7, and, unlike Java for example, there are not many testing frameworks for Delphi. Having said that, I recently downloaded the Dunit framework for Delphi aiming to do some tests. It's a definitive goal to have the most stable application possible.

Thanks for your feedback,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Too... many.. suggestions...

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.