Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

I would purchase right now, if only...[tab switching order]

Stickman
#1 | Posted: 23 May 2007 08:27 
I'm a long-time Textpad user looking for a slightly more advanced alternative and I thought I'd found it in Twistpad...but there's one thing that stops me from stumping up my cash right now.

In Textpad, if I use CTRL+TAB to switch from one document to another, release CTRL+TAB, then hit CTRL+TAB again, I am taken back to the previously-selected tab. So I can rapidly switch between two tabs using CTRL+TAB.

I think that in effect it keeps a history of the order in which tabs were selected, and works backwards through that list. I think some editors have this as a config option (called something like 'smart tabs').

If you were to implement this feature (or point out that it's already in there somewhere that I haven't found yet) then you would have my money.

jxp
#2 | Posted: 23 May 2007 10:10 
Doesn't SHIFT+CTRL+TAB work for you?
On all the latest aplications (IE, FireFox, etc.) CTRL+TAB=Next Tab and SHIFT+CTRL+TAB=Previous Tab.

troels
#3 | Posted: 23 May 2007 13:21 
Actually, I have always found that particular feature of TextPad a bit confusing. If it's introduced, I would prefer an option to turn it off.

Stickman
#4 | Posted: 24 May 2007 00:38 
jxp wrote:
Doesn't SHIFT+CTRL+TAB work for you?

Yes, but that's beside the point. I've been using Textpad for many, many years and my habits are deeply ingrained. I could teach myself to use SHIFT+CTRL+TAB, or mouse-click on the tab, or use the document selector. But the transition would be seamless if it just worked the way I'm used to.

I'd be happy for it to be optional -- like I said, I've seen editors that offer this as an option.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#5 | Posted: 25 May 2007 14:06 
Stickman wrote:
In Textpad, if I use CTRL+TAB to switch from one document to another, release CTRL+TAB, then hit CTRL+TAB again, I am taken back to the previously-selected tab. So I can rapidly switch between two tabs using CTRL+TAB.

This behavior his being considered (as an option) for the next feature release (a Service release is out due soon) but I don't want to confirm this new feature right now.

Thanks,
André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

kAlvaro
#6 | Posted: 22 Jun 2007 10:24 
I've got used to TextPad's behaviour but I find it very confusing: when I'm rapidly editing more than two files I often end up in the wrong tab. Firefox key bindings are far more sensible in my opinion, esp. if you're given the change to reorder tabs dragging them with the mouse.

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 I would purchase right now, if only...[tab switching order]

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.