Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

I'm switching, but wanted to add a few ideas

Jeremy Jackson
#1 | Posted: 18 Jul 2006 00:39 
Ok, so today I decided I was going to be switching away from textpad, however, I have some ideas (and bug reports).

I'm only making these suggestions because it's a 1.0 release.. You have reached a point that took textpad 4 versions in only one version, so I'm impressed.

These are my suggestions:
* I don't like how it removes trailing spaces. I much prefer 'remove trailing spaces on save'.
* I love the snippets that come included, I also like how you can pull up the snippet library inline. I just want this to be dockable, and work basically the same way it does now, just in an optional dockable window.
* I would also like the clipboard to be like the snippet library (so it can be pulled up inline). Basically just putting both versions of the two interfaces in there would be great.
* Block select mode (to select columns of text, instead of rows) -- rarely used, but priceless when it's needed.
* When I enter text and move down a line it just goes to the place I am on the current line. I'd like it to jump to the place I was on the line above before entering text. This is like textpad and discussed in a different thread.

---

Bugs I've identified:
* Auto indent always uses spaces (even when the options are set to not use spaces).
* File compare crashes fairly often (something about the listitem being -1 or something)
* Wordwrap is mistyped and says wordwarp in toolbar.
* Description is mistyped in Preferences/Files/Filters (says Descrition).

There's a few others that I've identified, but they aren't really important (ie. title disappears when moving dockable windows around etc.)

Thanks, I'd like to hear back. Based on your reply I'll consider moving several of my developers over from Textpad to Twistpad (because I can define internal clip libraries and syntax nicer than with Textpad).

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 19 Jul 2006 14:41 
Hi, Thanks for your comments.

Regarding your suggestions:
Jeremy Jackson wrote:
I don't like how it removes trailing spaces. I much prefer 'remove trailing spaces on save'.

will be done for version 1.1 (as an option)

Jeremy Jackson wrote:

I love the snippets that come included, I also like how you can pull up the snippet library inline. I just want this to be dockable, and work basically the same way it does now, just in an optional dockable window.

This is a good ideia, will be on 1.1

Jeremy Jackson wrote:

* I would also like the clipboard to be like the snippet library (so it can be pulled up inline). Basically just putting both versions of the two interfaces in there would be great.

The Multiple clipboard feature has a Snippet like interface, when there are items in the clipboard list press shift-ctrl-v (standard shortcut) and a list is displayed where the editor cursor is. I guess I could include the clipboard list as a snippet itself. Will probably do.

Jeremy Jackson wrote:
* Block select mode (to select columns of text, instead of rows) -- rarely used, but priceless when it's needed.

column selection is already implemented. Just press ALT when selecting text with the mouse (only when not in wordwrap mode)

Jeremy Jackson wrote:

* When I enter text and move down a line it just goes to the place I am on the current line. I'd like it to jump to the place I was on the line above before entering text. This is like textpad and discussed in a different thread.

I've checked this feature on Textpad, something I was not aware.
I could implement this, as an option. I can't find anything useful personally, but this is by default in Textpad, is there an option to turn off? what name can this have?

Jeremy Jackson wrote:
Bugs I've identified:
* Auto indent always uses spaces (even when the options are set to not use spaces).
* File compare crashes fairly often (something about the listitem being -1 or something)
* Wordwrap is mistyped and says wordwarp in toolbar.
* Description is mistyped in Preferences/Files/Filters (says Descrition).

Thanks , all will be fixed in the next version.

Thanks a lot for your excellent suggestions!
Don't hesitate to contact if you have more
Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Chad Johnson
#3 | Posted: 3 Aug 2006 22:56 | Edited by: Chad Johnson 
Andre Santos wrote:
Jeremy Jackson wrote:

When I enter text and move down a line it just goes to the place I am on the current line. I'd like it to jump to the place I was on the line above before entering text. This is like textpad and discussed in a different thread.

I've checked this feature on Textpad, something I was not aware.
I could implement this, as an option. I can't find anything useful personally, but this is by default in Textpad, is there an option to turn off? what name can this have?

It doesn't look like TextPad has this as an option to turn on or off. Apparently it's always on no matter what on any type of file.

I think it would be an excellent idea to have this as an option, and maybe you could call it "Remember previous line [caret/cursor] position."

Again, like I said before: this is excellent software, and you've done a good job. I really hope you continue your work on this. I am definitely buying a license.

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 I'm switching, but wanted to add a few ideas

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.