Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Comments from a new user

Doug Santoli
#1 | Posted: 27 Aug 2010 11:16 
I purchased Twistpad a few weeks ago and there are so many things I like about the product that it would be hard to list them all. I do have a few suggestions/issues that I hope will be addressed some day. Here they are in priority order for me:

1) It takes too long to exit. I guess I may not be a typical user in that I like doing things as SDI. In other words, I like to have a single instance open for each file. Each time I close an instance of the editor, it takes several seconds for the screen to go away (I'd estimate 5 seconds). In the mean time I see "Saving Settings..." in the status bar. I've tried this on a couple different setups with similar results. I saw a previous post on this and I tried deleting my Twistpad.settings and dock.dat but it didn't make a difference.

2) I can't undo to the point where it shows the file as not being modified. If I make a single edit and then use undo, the file still shows as modified.

3) I'd prefer an option in the Find popup to "close after find". I'd prefer to use F3 and Shift+F3 shortcuts so I always feel I need to get rid of the popup window first.

4) When I insert a snippet using Ctrl-J, I'd like it if there was a way to avoid the extra level of deciding the folder of snippets. When I'm editing a C++ file I'd like Ctrl-J to directly bring up a list of my C++ snippets.

Thanks for making a great product at a good price. Keep up the good work.

-Doug

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 29 Aug 2010 11:56 
Hi Douglas,

Thanks for your purchase and very nice comments.

Suggestions and feedback is always welcome.

1) It takes too long to exit. I guess I may not be a typical user in that I like doing things as SDI. In other words, I like to have a single instance open for each file. Each time I close an instance of the editor, it takes several seconds for the screen to go away (I'd estimate 5 seconds). In the mean time I see "Saving Settings..." in the status bar. I've tried this on a couple different setups with similar results. I saw a previous post on this and I tried deleting my Twistpad.settings and dock.dat but it didn't make a difference.

Yes, as you said, this problem as been reported before, but it only happens sometimes (never on my dev., testing and virtual machines as well as casual use on another computers I had the chance to see it happen) it might be related to a software incompatibility like an anti-virus or anti-malware scanners.

Can't do much more without reproducing it here. unfortunately 5 seconds is a lot of time for closing an application. Don't hesitate to post further details you may have so I can try to reproduce.

2) I can't undo to the point where it shows the file as not being modified. If I make a single edit and then use undo, the file still shows as modified.

Yes. It's a limitation of the internal undo system. Unfortunately is not something easy to correct.

3) I'd prefer an option in the Find popup to "close after find". I'd prefer to use F3 and Shift+F3 shortcuts so I always feel I need to get rid of the popup window first.

You have several ways to find text:
- Pop up dialog
- setting a find combo on the tool (using the customize toolbar feature)
- using the Find Again Command (requires a first search)
- Quick Find (just select a text and press F4)*
- Incremental Search (press CTRL-E and start typing)*

* both the quick find and Incremental search do not perform advanced
search like regular expressions and whole words only options

Anyway an option to always close after a find might be a good idea, not sure if this is a typical use, but as an option it should be OK.

4) When I insert a snippet using Ctrl-J, I'd like it if there was a way to avoid the extra level of deciding the folder of snippets. When I'm editing a C++ file I'd like Ctrl-J to directly bring up a list of my C++ snippets.

You can already, but you will have to define the "SnippetFile" command in the header of the syntax file.

Please refer to the advanced topics of Twistpad help file. If you require additional help don't hesitate to ask in the forum.

Thanks for making a great product at a good price. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. Hope you can continue enjoying Twistpad.

Regards

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Comments from a new user

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.