Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Slow shutdown?

Prasad Upasani
#1 | Posted: 20 May 2009 11:13 
Want to say off the bat, I just discovered (and bought) Twistpad yesterday and so far I'm in love with it!! Don't know where you guys have been hiding but you need to advertise this product some more!

One issue: I notice when I try to close Twistpad, it takes a few seconds during which the status bar says "Saving Settings...". This happens even when I have changed no settings during the session. Couple of thoughts on this:
- First, settings should be saved as soon as they are changed and this may already be happening
- Second, the program should keep track of whether anything has changed rather than re-saving everything at shutdown (is this whats happening?)

Note I have a reasonably fast Core 2 Duo laptop and can still notice the delay at shutdown, so I'm sure its much slower on older machines. I've used other editors like TextPad before where the startup and shutdown is instantaneous. Twistpad beats Textpad in a lot of areas, but I think this is one area that needs improvement.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 20 May 2009 13:56 
Hi,

Thank you for your comments, and your registration.

The problem you are having is not normal. Twistpad should be quite fast exiting, a slight delay may happen if Twistpad is running from a portable device which i reckon is not the case.

Twistpad does not save every setting at shutdown, but it saves some settings (toolbar, window and dock windows positions, among other minor things) which should not cause significant delay at exit.

I would suggest, deleting the settings file to see if it improves the speed at shutdown.

Open explorer and locate the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUsername>\Application Data\Carthago\Twistpad

Replace <YourUsername> with your windows user.

Move the file "Twistpad.settings" to the desktop (or other location) making sure this file is no longer in the folder.
Try starting Twistpad, and exit. See if it improved shutdown performance.

if it continues, try deleting the file "dock.dat" which holds the dock window positions to see if it improve shutdown speed.

This could be related to some sort of corruption in this files, but let me assure you this are standard INI files.

if it improved with either file reset, i advise you keep the new created file (you will loose your settings however)

Let me know if it resolved the problem.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Prasad Upasani
#3 | Posted: 21 May 2009 08:44 
I did try deleting the settings and dock files, that did not seem to make a difference. Maybe the delay is Antivirus or something similar checking on the file write. Any reason the settings are kept in a file as opposed to the registry (which might be faster)?

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 21 May 2009 17:02 
Hi,

Sorry that deleting both files did not improve the shutdown performance.

It might be the anti-virus, try temporarily disabling it, to see if it improves performance. If so I'll see what i can do about it, just let me know what is your anti-virus so I can do some tests.

Before version 1.55 the settings were saved to the registry (except the dock file), however, with the the new feature of being able to be portable, I decided to always use settings files (a lot of software seem to be taking this route).

This seems to be a compatibility issue in your computer, it would be great if you could identify where the problem is, so I can hopefully fix this.

Thanks,

André Santos

Andre Santos
Carthago
#5 | Posted: 3 Jul 2009 15:23 
Prasad,

Do you still have this slow shutdown issue?
Have you tried the Clean portable version of version 2.0 beta available for download?

Thanks,

André Santos

Prasad Upasani
#6 | Posted: 4 Jul 2009 09:30 
Yes I still see this. Its not very bad, but I do see a 1-2 second delay after I hit the shutdown key during which the status bar shows "Saving Settings ...". The portable version of the beta has the same behaviour.

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Slow shutdown?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.