Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

[1.60] Problematic bug with UNDO functionality

Dirhael
#1 | Posted: 11 Sep 2007 15:45 | Edited by: Dirhael 
So, it would seem like there is a bug with the latest version of Twistpad (1.60), that at least for me makes it very annoying to use in certain cases. As such I would really appreciate it if you could release a hotfix for this, and not make us wait until the next usual update is released..Please? :)

Anyway, here's a proper way to duplicate my problem.

Step 1: Create a new file and use tab or some spaces to indent (doesn't matter which). Then just type something on this line, then repeat for the next few lines. Here's what I used:
http://www.thesecondscreen.com/uploads/pre-undo.txt

Step 2: Now, place the marker at the begining of the text on either line and press [ENTER]. You will notice that you got a linebreak as expected. Now try to use the undo function (doesn't matter if you use the keyboard shortcut or the menu). You should now notice that instead of just reverting your changes, it unindents your line!

Here's the result I get after placing my cursor at the beginning of the text on line 2, pressing enter, then using undo:
http://www.thesecondscreen.com/uploads/post-undo.txt

Need more details, just ask :)

EDIT: Linked text documents, as this forum doesn't appear to allow CODE tags to be used.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 11 Sep 2007 17:09 
Hi, Thanks for a fast feedback on the latest version.

I've been testing the problem you described following your steps, and this only happens when I select "Discard Trailing Spaces" in Preferences/Editor.

Can you confirm you have this option selected?

Without the option the Undo command works OK, and this problem (with the Discard option set) also happens in 1.59 and probably in early versions.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Dirhael
#3 | Posted: 11 Sep 2007 18:12 
Just tested, and I can confirm that it is the "Discard Trailing Spaces" function that causes this. I must somehow have enabled that option when going over the options dialogue to see if there was something new. Don't really need the option, as I already have Twistpad set to do that (trim trailing spaces) when saving files anyway :)

Still, it kind of bothers me that "Undo" doesn't do what the name implies it should do. Does this behaviour extend to other areas of the editor? The reason I'm asking is because if it does, I'm not entirely sure that I feel safe trusting Twistpad to handle my source code as I could accidentally end up with changes in my files that shouldn't be there.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 11 Sep 2007 18:29 
Dirhael wrote:
Still, it kind of bothers me that "Undo" doesn't do what the name implies it should do. Does this behaviour extend to other areas of the editor? The reason I'm asking is because if it does, I'm not entirely sure that I feel safe trusting Twistpad to handle my source code as I could accidentally end up with changes in my files that shouldn't be there.

Can you expand on that? have you noticed (besides this problem you reported) any strange undo malfunction?

Undo should undo your changes in the current editing file. edit some lines, press undo several times, your changes should be reverted back.

Naturally, after saving and closing, the Undo command will not be able to revert any changes you made on older sessions, I would recommend some sort of version control for that (like Microsoft Source Safe or CVS)

Thanks,

André Santos

Dirhael
#5 | Posted: 11 Sep 2007 18:48 | Edited by: Dirhael 
What I meant was that I felt uncertain whether or not Twistpad would really revert all of my changes when using the undo function, seeing as it did not do so in the situation described in my original bug report (I'm not thinking of after I've closed/re-opened the file). Just wanted confirmation that this was in fact just a bug, and that under normal circumstances this should never happen :)

I also just wanted to add that I'd love to see another change relating to the undo functionality, even if it isn't so much of a bug as it is a usability issue. See, if you open a document and type something in it, but then uses undo to revert all of your changes, Twistpad still marks the open tab+window title as changed (you know, with a "*"). This always makes me very uncertain of whether or not some of the changes are left in the document.
This is just a minor annoyance if I'm working on a single document but it can be very frustrating when you have multiple files open.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 12 Sep 2007 04:28 
Dirhael wrote:
What I meant was that I felt uncertain whether or not Twistpad would really revert all of my changes when using the undo function, seeing as it did not do so in the situation described in my original bug report (I'm not thinking of after I've closed/re-opened the file). Just wanted confirmation that this was in fact just a bug, and that under normal circumstances this should never happen :)

Yes, under normal circumstances Undo should work properly.

There are some minor issues with having the option "Discard Trailing Spaces" selected which will be deal in future versions.

Dirhael wrote:
I also just wanted to add that I'd love to see another change relating to the undo functionality, even if it isn't so much of a bug as it is a usability issue. See, if you open a document and type something in it, but then uses undo to revert all of your changes, Twistpad still marks the open tab+window title as changed (you know, with a "*"). This always makes me very uncertain of whether or not some of the changes are left in the document.
This is just a minor annoyance if I'm working on a single document but it can be very frustrating when you have multiple files open.

yes, i agree, also "undo" does not remove change marks, again this are issues that will be addressed in future versions.

Thanks

André Santos

Dirhael
#7 | Posted: 12 Sep 2007 06:54 
Thanks for the reply, I'm very happy to hear that you'll look into this for a future version :)

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 [1.60] Problematic bug with UNDO functionality

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.