Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Twistpad is slick, but...

dandersahn
#1 | Posted: 13 Jul 2007 06:22 
Just tried out Twistpad for the first time and I have to say it is pretty slick. There are a few things that seem to be lacking (or perhaps I just can't figure out how to do them) that prevent me from buying:

1) can't use middle click to close tab

2) can't do regex to parse tool output to jump to line in file

3) can't send selection and/or content of buffer to stdin of external tool (I know that the slection can be passed as an argument, but that is very limited)

4) can't replace current selection with the output of an external tool

5) no macro language

Any chance any of these features will be added in the near future?

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 15 Jul 2007 06:02 
Hi,

Thanks for trying out Twistpad.
regarding your query's:

dandersahn wrote:
1) can't use middle click to close tab

Agree, this is pretty much a standard, so it will be done.

dandersahn wrote:
2) can't do regex to parse tool output to jump to line in file

3) can't send selection and/or content of buffer to stdin of external tool (I know that the slection can be passed as an argument, but that is very limited)

4) can't replace current selection with the output of an external tool

This are all tool related, and some features you mentioned are not common in general purpose text editors. I will definitely see what are the options in implementing this.

dandersahn wrote:
5) no macro language

This is planned for future releases.

Sorry for being a bit vague, particularly about the tools improvements, but it's difficult to say feature x or y will be implement and I prefer not to make promises that could or not be happen in the future just to sell licenses.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

pencilneck
#3 | Posted: 19 Jul 2007 02:32 
I second the middle click. Small but important feature.

Another small but vital feature for me is displaying the full path of the selected tab in the window title, I work with many different sites and network drives so it would be nice to know what file I'm editing without having to mouseover the tab for a tooltip.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 19 Jul 2007 11:31 
pencilneck wrote:

I second the middle click. Small but important feature.

Middle click to close a document will be in version 1.59

pencilneck wrote:
Another small but vital feature for me is displaying the full path of the selected tab in the window title, I work with many different sites and network drives so it would be nice to know what file I'm editing without having to mouseover the tab for a tooltip.

Have you tried checking "Include last document folder in tab display" (preferences / files) ?

usually the last folder of a file should be enough in most situations eg:

file "c:\sites\Site A\index.html"
displays as "Site A\index.html"

and

file "c:\sites\Site B\index.html"
displays as "Site B\index.html "

Thanks

André Santos

pencilneck
#5 | Posted: 19 Jul 2007 22:58 
Thanks for the tip, didn't know that.

Doesn't work for my purposes though as the files I work on are 2/3 folders deep and all the sites have the same folder structure, so I still have to mouse over to see the top level drive or network share.

It also makes tabs bigger, so it means less viewable tabs open at any one time.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 20 Jul 2007 14:15 
pencilneck wrote:
Doesn't work for my purposes though as the files I work on are 2/3 folders deep and all the sites have the same folder structure, so I still have to mouse over to see the top level drive or network share.

version 1.59 (almost out) will allow to specify the level of the folders you which to show when "Include last document folder in tab display" is checked.

This will be a hidden feature and can be edited directly in the registry by setting the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Carthago\Twistpad\RelativeFolderLevel to an integer value higher then 1 (Default value) . Let me know if you will need help for that (this is only available in the upcoming 1.59 version)

And of course setting the value to 10 or 20, will show the full path in the tab ;-)

Thanks,

André Santos

pencilneck
#7 | Posted: 27 Jul 2007 00:59 
Thanks for putting that in. I gave it a go but with the longest paths I can only fit 3/4 tabs on one screen!

I still think the window title would be the best place for the full path. In Komodo it has the name of the file first and then the full path in brackets so it looks like this:

core.css (x:\sites\sitename\includes\css) - Twistpad

Andre Santos
Carthago
#8 | Posted: 27 Jul 2007 17:23 
pencilneck wrote:
I still think the window title would be the best place for the full path. In Komodo it has the name of the file first and then the full path in brackets so it looks like this:

core.css (x:\sites\sitename\includes\css) - Twistpad

Ok , I can put an option to show the window caption like that.

(hang on for the next version)

Thanks,

André Santos

pencilneck
#9 | Posted: 7 Aug 2007 00:14 | Edited by: pencilneck 
That would be splendid.

When do you think next release will be?

Thanks.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#10 | Posted: 13 Aug 2007 08:32 
pencilneck wrote:
When do you think next release will be?

Feature release versions have a 1/2 month cycle between versions, depending on the feature demand and our own roadmap.

Something like mid-September sounds doable for the next version

Thanks,

André Santos

pencilneck
#11 | Posted: 14 Aug 2007 01:32 
Thanks, that's great. Looking forward to it!

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Twistpad is slick, but...

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.