Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

UTF-8 issues

kAlvaro
#1 | Posted: 22 Jun 2007 10:50 
I maintain a PHP web site where files are encoded in UTF-8.

PHP 5 is not very good dealing with UTF-8 so I have to save "include" files (headers, footers, function definitions…) without a BOM. Otherwise, the BOM will be displayed as a char in the middle of my scripts (which do not always produce HTML). So I have two problems with Twispad:

1) There doesn't seem to be an option not to save the BOM.

2) When I open UTF-8 files that do not have a BOM (created with other editors) they're recognized at ANSI (which is fine). That means that (for instance) a Spanish accented letter is incorrectly displayed as two separate (and meaningless) chars. If I go to File-> Encoding and switch to UTF-8 then I can type new letters and they’re displayed and saved just fine. However, the original letters remain incorrectly displayed and are saved as two separate chars.

I understand this is actually a limitation of the PHP engine but it’d be very useful to have a workaround (i.e., having the option to deal with BOM-less files) until PHP 6 is released and all ISPs around the world adopt it.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 24 Jun 2007 17:07 
Hi,

Twistpad recognizes a Unicode/UTF8 file via it's BOM Signature and there is no option to save without BOM.

There are plans to automatically determine the encoding of a file, but at the present moment Unicode files need to have the BOM in order to be properly opened in Twistpad

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 UTF-8 issues

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.