Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Glad I found your editor at Snapfiles

MT Jordan
#1 | Posted: 11 Jun 2007 15:42 | Edited by: MT Jordan 
I have used Crimson Editor for a number of years mainly for its tabbed interface long before other apps added this feature. From time to time, I download both freeware and commercial editors and IDEs to play with and I always came back to Crimson. I don't care for IDEs mainly because I like lean coding tools. I still use Paint Shop Pro 7 because 8+ now takes as long as any Adobe editor to open. Twistpad just may sway me to adopt it. I usually hide all toolbars on my editors and I like to work through a context menu. For the most part, Crimson gave me this, but it is a little dated and Emerald has no beta in sight. I like the function browser and code folding is nice, but I don't use it.

My two cents on future features:

* More intuitive syntax highlighting.
* Right clicking on the tab bar brings up the context menu for various windows and toggling the toolbar. It would be nice to have it open a context menu with options to create/open a file and close and save all open files and Crimson does. Perhaps this could be added to the current menu.

Other than that, I am sold. This past weekend I looked at a dozen editors and none are this nice. Very nice work.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 12 Jun 2007 16:14 
Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments.

I certainly understand your thoughts about lean applications, it is a problem nowadays seeing certain nice applications growing with useless bloat (ACDSee cames to mind)

Regarding your suggestions:
* More intuitive syntax highlighting

You mean more intuitive configuration of syntax highlighting?
If so, I agree, a plugin to ease the task of configuring syntax highlighting for the various document types is in the works.

* Right clicking on the tab bar brings up the context menu for various windows and toggling the toolbar. It would be nice to have it open a context menu with options to create/open a file and close and save all open files and Crimson does. Perhaps this could be added to the current menu.

I just checked Crimson editor, which seems to stop development?
Anyway it has the open commands on the tab strip context menu, I will consider allowing the possibility to customize that menu. I can confirm the Tab Menu is now fully customizable in the next version

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Glad I found your editor at Snapfiles

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.