Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Option to not use the Unicode Byte Order Mark

Nicholas Piasecki
#1 | Posted: 9 Dec 2006 11:31 
Love TwistPad and want to make the switch, but one thing is preventing me. When I save a file in UTF-8 format, TwistPad automatically prepends the file with the Unicode Byte Order Mark (BOM). Internet Explorer (even version 7) goes bananas when it encounters this character, so many text editors provide a user preference to disable saving with this mark. Possible?

Thanks for such a great editor!

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 9 Dec 2006 18:56 
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

About the Unicode BOM, The way Twistpad was implemented was that any type of unicode would be recognized by this Byte order mark. If it's not on the file, Twistpad assumes it's an ANSI file.

At the moment there is now way to change this. To work with Unicode files, Twistpad always creates the BOM when saving, and recognizes that is a Unicode file when opening by checking the BOM.

Your concern is pertinent, since I've been testing IE with a Unicode HTML file created in Twistpad and it takes some time to display it.

I will consider this for future versions, but some changes are required to correctly load a Unicode file without BOM.

Thanks

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Option to not use the Unicode Byte Order Mark

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.