DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /  

DeskTask on a laptop

rcunard
#1 | Posted: 18 Jan 2006 22:49 
What happens to DeskTask operation when the laptop is not connected to the network and thus no connection to Outlook/Exchange server?
In my case, after working without a network connection for a while, I tried to connect to the network and Outlook via a VPN connection and received an error message saying something about another application was trying to connect to Outlook and to close that application.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 19 Jan 2006 15:57 
Hi,

Before addressing to your question, can you confirm you have been using DeskTask connected to an exchange server?

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

rcunard
#3 | Posted: 19 Jan 2006 23:20 
Yes, when connected to the office network -- we have an Exchange server for Outlook

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 23 Jan 2006 15:46 
rcunard wrote:
Yes, when connected to the office network -- we have an Exchange server for Outlook

That's good news, I did some testing with an Outlook connected to a Exchange Server and it had problems.
But if you can connect maybe it was some sort of settings problem.

rcunard wrote:
What happens to DeskTask operation when the laptop is not connected to the network and thus no connection to Outlook/Exchange server?
In my case, after working without a network connection for a while, I tried to connect to the network and Outlook via a VPN connection and received an error message saying something about another application was trying to connect to Outlook and to close that application.

Again, this scenario as not been tested, so I can't really tell you what is the problem. DeskTask in this mode can become unstable, so until I can properly test DeskTask under this scenario, I can be of very much help.

Thanks,

André Santos

rcunard
#5 | Posted: 26 Jan 2006 13:23 
Andre Santos wrote:
Again, this scenario as not been tested, so I can't really tell you what is the problem. DeskTask in this mode can become unstable, so until I can properly test DeskTask under this scenario, I can be of very much help.

Just a quick response to let you know that it DeskTask was unstable when the laptop was away from the network. I was out of the office for 5 days and unable to connect to the network. Each hour the laptop was on, I received a notice that it could not find the data.

Upon returning to the office, DeskTask froze with a 'note' that it was 'reading data.' I closed DeskTask and re-started it again and it opened fine.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 29 Jan 2006 06:03 
rcunard wrote:
Just a quick response to let you know that it DeskTask was unstable when the laptop was away from the network. I was out of the office for 5 days and unable to connect to the network. Each hour the laptop was on, I received a notice that it could not find the data.

Upon returning to the office, DeskTask froze with a 'note' that it was 'reading data.' I closed DeskTask and re-started it again and it opened fine.

DeskTask uses an hidden instance of Outlook to get the data.
Since Outlook itself is unable to get the data (not connected to the network) Desktask could not refresh it's data, since it has no cache mechanism at this time.

So if Outlook can't connect, neither can DeskTask.

Thanks,

André Santos

DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /
 DeskTask on a laptop

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.