DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /  

Display Task Category

OLLI_S
#1 | Posted: 24 Nov 2009 01:27 
Hello,

while working with DeskTask I discovered that it would be useful to show at tasks also the category.
So please add an option to show the category of the task.

On the desktop it could look like this:
[Due Date] - [Category] - [Subject]

If you implement this you should also offer:
- a separate color for the category
- a checkbox "Show Category"
- in the list "Sort By" you should offer also an entry "Category"

At the moment I added the category in the subject of the task manually and I also added the font color information (the HTML Tag) in the subject.
But now my colleagues can not read my task any more, because they get confused by the HTML tags.
;-)

Showing the category is very important, because I have many tasks and if I work on a project (category) I want to see the tasks due today sorted by category.
So this feature is very very important for me.

Are there any chances that you implement the category?

Greetings

OLLI

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 24 Nov 2009 16:07 
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I understand that category can be very important, but a task can have multiple categories. I don't see how that could be compatible with the list style of DeskTask.

Additionally category colors is only available in Outlook 2007, and DeskTask, at the moment, does not support extra feature of the latest Outlook version.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

OLLI_S
#3 | Posted: 25 Nov 2009 00:30 
Hello,

I know that a task can have multiple categories.
What about displaying the first category?

I had in the caption the Category as test and also the font color information stored like this:
<font color="#C0C0C0">Project A</font> - <b>Check Test results</b> of the test team
<font color="#C0C0C0">Project A</font> - <b>Inform Department X</b> if the test is successful

I make my task that detailed because my colleagues must also know what to do so they can support me.

Having normal Text WITHOUT any THML Tags is OK for them, but they get confused if there are tags.
The Tag B (Bold) is ok (not very long) but the font color is confusing.
Enter such a task and look how Outlook displays it.

And when I suggested "Category Color" I suggested that you add in the preferences in the Tab "Tasks" a new color picker where I select the color that should be used in DeskTask to display the category.
Not the Outlook internal Category color (I have Outlook 2003 here).

Greetings

OLLI

Juansa
#4 | Posted: 23 Dec 2009 08:59 
FIRST: Congratulations for your work !

SECOND: I agree with Olli_s.
It woul be great to sort the task by category. Somekind of list like the calendar:

CATEGORY 1:
Buy the milk
Write card to Santa
CATEGORY 2:
Find a girlfriend :-)

It would be a very usefull tool for us who use the "GTD" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_Things_Done

Greetings

Juansa

DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /
 Display Task Category

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.