DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /  

UI tweaks (alignment etc.)

Jomel
#1 | Posted: 10 Oct 2006 19:43 
Hi, DeskTask has instantly become one of my must-have programs.
Could I just suggest a couple of UI tweaks though (based on Outlook Today, which I know DeskTask itself is based on)?

1. Firstly it would be useful if the calendar showed the times and the titles of appointments in two separate columns - this makes it much easier to read through your list of appointments, as you generally just want the first word or so of each, so if they start at the same indentation you can just scan vertically downwards. Outlook Today does this perfectly, whatever the length of the time (or "all day event") the title is displayed at the same indentation:

Note that I am assuming items are aligned to the left - if items are aligned to the right I'd suggest putting the times in a column on the right.

2. Similarly the task list would be much easier to read if there was consistent indentation between items that have a priority icon and those that don't (and again it would make sense to have the dates and titles of tasks in separate columns, though for me dates are always the same length so it doesn't technically matter).

Compare Outlook Today's consistent indentation:

to DeskTask:

And a couple of minor points,

3. It would be nice to just show the start time for events where the start time and end time are the same, as this usually means the user just hasn't specified an end time, rather than the event being instantaneous.

4. It's nice having the times of events de-emphasised compared to the titles, as in Outlook Today (top image).

5. Having a little arrow pointing to the current/next event as in Outlook Today (top image) is a nice touch...

6. I notice an odd one pixel difference in vertical alignment between the times and the titles of appointments in the Calendar, using 10pt Verdana with ClearType (shown below at 1600% zoom):

The various icons can also get drawn at odd vertical positions (especially the low priority one, see 3rd image)

Ok that's probably enough!
Thanks for all your work on this.

Jomel
#2 | Posted: 13 Oct 2006 06:16 
Sorry to ask so much, but it would also be extremely useful if you could sort tasks by two different fields - I'd like tasks to be sorted by due date, but for tasks with the same due date to be sorted by priority (a lot of software does this by default).

DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /
 UI tweaks (alignment etc.)

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.