Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

1.56SR1 AutoCorrect & RegEx Bugs?

Jon
#1 | Posted: 25 Feb 2007 03:14 
Getting people to give up their text editor is only slightly easier than getting them to give up a kidney. Congrats on making a program worthy of making even the most die-hard consider switching. Like many others, I'm looking for an alternative to TextPad as it's development seems to have gone belly up.

I've just started the trial of TwistPad and really like what I see so far! But I have run into some problems with 1.56SR1 (trial):

1. The AutoComplete isn't working for me. Sometimes after just 1 or 2 additions, it still works, but then as I add more, I get the problem where it will recognise an AutoCorrect item but replace it with the wrong entry. I have a feeling it's when you use any bracket (eg: (){}[]) in the entry but I haven't tested thoroughly enough to know for sure.

2. I can't seem to get \n in regular expressions to work. It consistenly tells me that no newline chars are found. I checked the help but am either missing something here or it's broken.

From other posts I heard that a syntax editor is in the works which is excellent! I also would like to request a feature found in Notepad++ which I quite like: shift a line up/down. Ideally, this would have a quick shortcut key like CTRL-UP/DOWN or something.

Lastly, I've seen screenshots of the textfolding which is very important. I assume it's activated in the syntax files as I didn't see any options for it. However, when I did a check using pascal syntax (I like Delphi too ;-) the keywords highlighted but I didn't get any folding around begin/end. Am I missing something?

Thanks for making a great editor! Considering it's so new, I can't wait to see how it polishes up after a few more revisions!

Best of luck!

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 25 Feb 2007 13:01 
Hi,

Thanks for your comments (that remark comparing text editors to kidneys is most probably true ;-) )

Regarding the bug reports/suggestions:

Jon wrote:
1. The AutoComplete isn't working for me. Sometimes after just 1 or 2 additions, it still works, but then as I add more, I get the problem where it will recognise an AutoCorrect item but replace it with the wrong entry. I have a feeling it's when you use any bracket (eg: (){}[]) in the entry but I haven't tested thoroughly enough to know for sure.

I'm a bit confused here when you mention both Auto Complete and Auto Correct. I assume you are talking about Auto Correct since it's not possible to add items to Auto Complete (it's an automatic process). If so is it possible you send the items list (can be a screenshot) so I can test it?

Jon wrote:
2. I can't seem to get \n in regular expressions to work. It consistenly tells me that no newline chars are found. I checked the help but am either missing something here or it's broken.

There is indeed a problem in the Regular expressions engine regarding finding \n new lines. it will be probably fixed in the next release. Other than the issue using \n is there any other problem you found?

Jon wrote:
From other posts I heard that a syntax editor is in the works which is excellent! I also would like to request a feature found in Notepad++ which I quite like: shift a line up/down. Ideally, this would have a quick shortcut key like CTRL-UP/DOWN or something.

It will be available in the next release, both move up/down the current line or a block of selected text.

Jon wrote:
Lastly, I've seen screenshots of the textfolding which is very important. I assume it's activated in the syntax files as I didn't see any options for it. However, when I did a check using pascal syntax (I like Delphi too ;-) the keywords highlighted but I didn't get any folding around begin/end. Am I missing something?

Pascal (Delphi) Syntax should outline begin/end pairs. Do you have the Code Outline option checked in Preferences-Editor ?

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Jon
#3 | Posted: 25 Feb 2007 22:07 
I'm a bit confused here when you mention both Auto Complete and Auto Correct. I assume you are talking about Auto Correct since it's not possible to add items to Auto Complete (it's an automatic process). If so is it possible you send the items list (can be a screenshot) so I can test it?

Yes, I was talking about Auto Correct. Here is a screenshot illustrating the problem. It seems as the if the index is off by one. If it's not clear from the image. I entered the Auto Correct items in the editor in the same order that they appear in the dialog. But as you can see, the corrected text that was inserted is offset by 1. If it's not clear from the image below, let me know and I will try to clarify further.

Pascal (Delphi) Syntax should outline begin/end pairs. Do you have the Code Outline option checked in Preferences-Editor ?

Yes, I double-checked to see that Code Outline was checked in preferences (and it is). However, I went to add new syntax definition files available on your website. I was going to add inno.sdf and dfm.sdf and read they need to be added to the Syntax subdirectory. I did not have a Syntax subdirectory off the main program directory. So I checked the application settings and didn't see one there either. I created one and put the files in it but they don't seem to be recognized by the editor as they don't show up in the Files>Syntax section of the preferences dialog upon restarting the program.

The first time I installed the program, I selected the option where doesn't create files in the users application settings directory (for usb key use). In case that was the problem, I tried reinstalling again (had admin rights both times) but got the same results. The only files installed the the program directory were: Twistpad.chm, Twistpad.exe and uninstall.exe.

I'm guessing I'm missing something really obvious here but can't seem to figure out what it is.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 26 Feb 2007 08:16 
Hi,

Thanks for the screenshots which are really helpful.

Just tested the Auto-correct based on your input and there is ended some kind of problem replacing the text. Not sure at this moment why, but thanks a lot for pointing that out. Will hopefully be fixed for the next version.

Regarding the code outline, there is a known limitation for outline; it does not display if wordwrap is on. This is not a bug but rather a limitation. If you switch off the wordwrap then the outline will be shown.

I'm not sure which is the option that "doesn't create files in the users application settings directory (for usb key use)" since there is no way to specify that on either the installation or in the preferences.

The Syntax files should always go in (for Windows 2000/XP) :
"c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Carthago\Twistpad\Syntax"

USB Pen support (have the settings in the local directory where the Executable resides) is being considered for future versions, but at the moment there is no way to specify that.

Thanks for your feedback,

André Santos

Jon
#5 | Posted: 27 Feb 2007 11:05 
Thanks for your quick replies - it shows your committment to your userbase which is great! :-)

I must have had a brain-fart when thinking about the USB key install option. I've installed a lot of text editors in last little while to compare them and must have got my wires crossed somwhere along the line.

As for the syntax files, I was looking in [User]\Application Data instead of ALL users - my bad. The additional .sdf files load perfectly now of course.

For what it's worth, the only text editors that nicely balance features/bloat and I consider worthy replacements to TextPad are TwistPad and Notepad++. You're doing a very good job!

Most of the little issues that I've noticed with Twistpad are things you've already acknowledged and have mentioned are being worked on. The one notable exception is the limitation that text-folding only works with word-wrap turned off.

For writing code this isn't critical but code isn't always the only thing that benifits from folding. At this point, that is really the only serious limitation that I see as I'm confident that the other more minor issues will be dealt with in upcoming revisions.

Is text-folding with word-wrap enabled something you'd consider addressing "soon" or are there just too many other features/fixes that have priority?

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 1 Mar 2007 15:38 
Jon wrote:

Is text-folding with word-wrap enabled something you'd consider addressing "soon" or are there just too many other features/fixes that have priority?

Sorry, Code folding (with word wrap on) at the moment is not a high priority.

Thanks,

André Santos

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 1.56SR1 AutoCorrect & RegEx Bugs?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.