MemInfo Carthago Software forums / MemInfo /  

General Confusion!

infidel
#1 | Posted: 28 Dec 2006 17:28 
I have 2-GB of memory. I just installed MemInfo, and configured it to display a percentage.

Just now, I noticed the percentage at 90%, and became a bit alarmed. Then, I noticed these readings in the tooltip:

Physical Memory: 1,846 MB / 2,047 MB

Page File: 1,108 MB / 1,897 MB

Now, 1846/2047 is around 90%, so that's clear. But 1108/1897 is about 58% for page file usage. What does this mean, considering that I have no page file at all, since it is totally disabled on my system?

I'm just trying to make sense of all this. I have no page file, yet I supposedly have 58% page file usage. I understand "page file" to mean "virtual memory", which is basically RAM and page file combined. Yet...I have no page file, so [RAM + page file] is [2047 MB + 0 MB = 2047 MB].

Bottom line...what does this 58% signify?

jslegers
#2 | Posted: 29 Dec 2006 06:39 | Edited by: jslegers 
Hi,

I have 1 Gb of ram and my page file is 1 Gb. When I read the tooltip it reads Page File : 452 MB / 1973 MB. Where does it gets the 1973 value ?

John

Andre Santos
Carthago
#3 | Posted: 30 Dec 2006 17:24 
Hi both Infidel and jslegers,

MemInfo Relies on functions from Windows itself to show the memory values.

So to explain this Total Page File directly from Microsoft MSDN Site:
TotalPageFile
The current size of the committed memory limit, in bytes. This is physical memory plus the size of the page file, minus a small overhead

That explains jslegers case.

In your case infidel, I'm not sure if Windows is automatically reserving some virtual memory. I think you should post in Microsoft support groups regarding this.

For your information, to get this string:
Page File: 1,108 MB / 1,897 MB

MemInfo does:
TotalPageFile - AvailPageFile / TotalPageFile

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

MemInfo Carthago Software forums / MemInfo /
 General Confusion!

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.