DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /  

DeskTask 1.2 & Win7 Home Premium and Outlook 2002 (Office SP2)

cliverlong
#1 | Posted: 17 Feb 2010 07:13 
Hi,

I really like Desktask. Makes the presentation of today's calendar really clear without having to open Outlook.

There are a couple of errors that pop up - I think when DeskTask is trying to contact Outlook and read the calendar.

One is a popup box appears with the text "Server threw and error". No error code shown, just an "OK" button, which when pressed, closes the popup box

Title: Microsoft Outlook

An extension failed to initialize. Can't open file: extend.dat. The file may not exist, you may not have permissions to open it, or it may be open in another program. Right-click the folder that contains the file, and then click Properties to check your permissions for the folder
<end of message>

I do a (Google Desktop) search of my hard disk (Win7 search is unreliable) and file extend.dat is not found.

If I click on the popup window it disappears and Outlook is opened. No further error messages.

Even with these error messages, DeskTask correctly shows the contents of the Outlook calendar.

I am using Outlook 2002 because I have a licence for it but no other Office software ((I use OpenOffice)

Clive

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 17 Feb 2010 17:23 
Hi,

DeskTask uses automation to connect to Outlook. This technique is basically launching an invisible copy of outlook and "asking" for data.
However some third party Add-ons installed in Outlook may behave in a erroneous way (no fault from Outlook or from DeskTask).

There have been reports that Google Desktop is incompatible with DeskTask, so it may be that your problem.

You can disable add-ons in outlook and see if the problem persists. But most likely the problem is Google Desktop.

Let me know if you need further help

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

cliverlong
#3 | Posted: 18 Feb 2010 01:04 
Hi,

I don't have any extensions installed in Outlook.

I do have Google Desktop installed. I only use Google Desktop because it is able to index the contents and data within files on network drives. I need this because I have a lot of data on network drives and I need to search for keywords in their contents. Win7 Home Premium search does not index network drive. The "offline files" workaround is not available with Win7HP.

Thanks

Clive

cliverlong
#4 | Posted: 18 Feb 2010 05:59 
Thanks for the quick reply

Can you explain what the message

"Can't open file: extend.dat. The file may not exist, you may not have permissions to open it, or it may be open in another program"

has to do with the presence of Google Desktop search? If DeskTask is looking for a program that isn't on the PC it seems unlikely that Google Desktop search has deleted this file.

Regards

Clive

Andre Santos
Carthago
#5 | Posted: 19 Feb 2010 04:08 
Hi,

cliverlong wrote:
"Can't open file: extend.dat. The file may not exist, you may not have permissions to open it, or it may be open in another program"

has to do with the presence of Google Desktop search? If DeskTask is looking for a program that isn't on the PC it seems unlikely that Google Desktop search has deleted this file.

I don't know why that error is raised, but DeskTask only "looks for" and executes Outlook. Outlook may have additional dependencies that are also executed when Outlook is launched hidden. As you may understand I cannot and will not, give support to problems related to Outlook.

Thanks,

André Santos

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 19 Feb 2010 12:41 
cliverlong wrote:
I don't have any extensions installed in Outlook.

Have you checked in the outlook options ?
Options -> Other -> Advanced options
buttons "Add-in manager" and "COM Add-ins"

I'm using Outloook 2003 but should be the same in the 2002 version

Thanks

André Santos

DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /
 DeskTask 1.2 & Win7 Home Premium and Outlook 2002 (Office SP2)

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.