DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /  

Multi-Monitor support?

Sanduleak
#1 | Posted: 28 Feb 2009 18:54 
Hi.

First of all I want to say that I really LOVE your software, and I really appreciate the fact that it is freeware, can´t make enought emphasis on that.

On my computer I have that horrible 3 monitors configuration some people complain about, the one with the middle monitor set as primary, that makes Desktask a pain to work with... when you can work with it.

Just wanted to know if there will be an update that fixes that problem, cause I really love the program and it´s a pity that people with that configuration can´t work with it.

I´m not a programmer, nor pretend to be one, because of that I can´t know the difficulty level of what I´m asking for, but just wanted to know if there is some hope for us, the multi-monitor users, to have this fixed, or just have to wait until our config changes to use Desktask.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Sanduleak
#2 | Posted: 19 Jul 2009 19:30 
Hey, thanks a lot for the answer... fast as lightning.

I know that Desktask is a free software and all that stuff, but a simple answer, a "yes" or "no" or "we´re not sure if it can be done"... or just "maybe but not soon" could have been perfectly acceptable, but instead you answer nothing... in five months!.

But, it´s ok, now I know what to expect from Carthago software in the future.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#3 | Posted: 20 Jul 2009 07:37 
As stated in the DeskTask FAQ:

6. Have a dual monitor setup and I can't drag the window to the second monitor

Uncheck "Snap to Desktop edges" in the general page of DeskTask Options. Once unchecked the DeskTask Window can be dragged to the other monitor (tested with an NVIDIA FX5200 Graphic Card with 2 connected CRT monitors, other setups may cause problems )

However there is a known problem when using a dual display mode. If setting the second monitor as the primary monitor in Windows, DeskTask window cannot be moved. The only workaround is either setting the first monitor as the main monitor or, if using a Nvidia Card, configure the monitors setup in the Nvidia Driver options.

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Sanduleak
#4 | Posted: 23 Jul 2009 02:22 
Thanks a lot for the answer Andre, but that is not what I was asking.

My problem is that I have 3 monitors, and the one to the left is not controlled by an Nvidia Card, I was asking if there is any plan to make Desktask more compatible with non-standard multimonitor configurations

Andre Santos
Carthago
#5 | Posted: 23 Jul 2009 06:00 
Sanduleak wrote:
My problem is that I have 3 monitors, and the one to the left is not controlled by an Nvidia Card, I was asking if there is any plan to make Desktask more compatible with non-standard multimonitor configurations

Giving support to non standard Multi-Monitor setup's mean's I have to replicate those setup's, something which I do not have the resources to do (Even if I could replicate, there is no guarantee it could be fixed).

A Couple of questions:
a) Are you using Windows XP? if Vista or above, you should have no problem, since the window is no longer "pinned to the desktop". I can include an option to make XP work like Vista and Seven (should solve this problem but there are side effects)

b) How did you setup a three monitor on the same computer? All graphic cards I'm aware only have dual output.

Thanks,
André Santos

Sanduleak
#6 | Posted: 23 Jul 2009 18:05 
1.- Yes, I´m Using XP right now. I plan to move to Vista or whatever is called the OS after it when I have enought money to change my computer (I´m working with a rather old one for today standars)

2.- I´ts quite easy to setup 3 monitors on the same computer, you only need two graphic cards... in today´s mainboards is quite easy to have to PCIe graphic cards and have one controlling one monitor and the other one controlling the other two... Unfortunatelly that is not my situation, I´m stuck in an "old" mainboard with one AGP card and one PCI (Not PCIe) card that controls the leftmost monitor (If you plan to do it remember to set up the bios to start the PCI card first).

The main problen i have is that configuration, that prevents my computer from running Vista, cause that card will not work (You need both cards to use the same driver in Vista).

Anyway, if you are interested the Parhelia series from matrox is capable of managing 3 monitors by itself.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#7 | Posted: 24 Jul 2009 16:29 
Hi,

Thanks for the info on graphic cards, I might try the 3 monitor setup.

Next version will have the option to use the Windows Vista method of pinning to the desktop, so it should fix your issue, let me know if you wish to test drive the beta version.

Thanks,

André Santos

Sanduleak
#8 | Posted: 25 Jul 2009 18:34 | Edited by: Sanduleak 
Thanks a lot Andre.

I whould love to test it, what do you need me to do?

Andre Santos
Carthago
#9 | Posted: 26 Jul 2009 11:57 
Hi, download from here

DeskTask1.2b1.zip

and extract to your DeskTask folder (Usually c:\Program Files\DeskTask\) (make sure DeskTask is not currently running), after starting it up, check the new option on the advanced tab (requires a restart) once you restart, it should have a new method of pinning to the desktop, hopefully solving your problems.

Let me know how it went,

Thanks,

André Santos

Sanduleak
#10 | Posted: 27 Jul 2009 12:20 
Thanks Andre, installed and (at the moment) working like a charm, I will observe it and let you know anything I can notice.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#11 | Posted: 27 Jul 2009 14:55 
Sanduleak wrote:
Thanks Andre, installed and (at the moment) working like a charm, I will observe it and let you know anything I can notice.

Ok, let me know

Thanks

André Santos

DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /
 Multi-Monitor support?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.