Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Feature suggestions

Eric
#1 | Posted: 1 Sep 2013 20:39 
Hi Andre,

Thank you for a very nice editor. I do not normally turn around and buy a software package after one day into a 30 day evaluation :)

I would like to propose a couple feature requests for your consideration.

1. Add a "close to system tray" and a "minimize to system tray" option.

I prefer this approach as as I don't have to keep opening up an editor if I hit close or minimize. Instead, I can click on the system tray icon and bring the editor back up and continue.

2. Add a synchronized scrolling option for when (2) or more documents are open.

3. That ability to have larger icons on the toolbars. For me, the icons are a bit on the small side. So maybe if there was a medium or large icon option that would be nice.

Thanks again

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 2 Sep 2013 16:29 
Hi Eric,

Thanks for you kind comments and for your purchase as well.

about your suggestions:

Eric wrote:
1. Add a "close to system tray" and a "minimize to system tray" option.

It can be done yes, it makes sense being Twistpad an all purpose text editor.

Eric wrote:
Add a synchronized scrolling option for when (2) or more documents are open.

Can you be more specific on this one? I'm not sure if you mean different documents or the same document with split views

Eric wrote:
3. That ability to have larger icons on the toolbars. For me, the icons are a bit on the small side. So maybe if there was a medium or large icon option that would be nice.

I understand your issue with the icon size, the icons are the standard toolbar size. I could make an option to make the icons larger, but it would require a fair bit amount of work making all the icons larger from scratch.
I could try to "stretch" the icon image, but it they would not look has sharp as they are in their "small" version. Another option would be adding labels under each button. I'll see what can be done.

Don't hesitate to comment back and let me know if you have further suggestions.

Thanks again,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Eric
#3 | Posted: 3 Sep 2013 17:38 
Hi Andre,

Regarding synchronized scrolling, I was referring to different documents. I apologize for not being clear.

I understand regarding the work involved with icon size. Maybe something to consider for future icon sets.

Thanks for considering my requests. I have some more I'll see about posting shortly.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 4 Sep 2013 17:19 
Hi,

Can you give me an example of an editor that does this synchronized scrolling between different documents?

I will keep in mind a larger icon set, however Twistpad does have 3 sets (low color, high color, and now metro making it difficult and time consuming have a small and larger icon set for all 3 styles.

Thanks,

André Santos

Eric
#5 | Posted: 6 Sep 2013 06:52 
Hi Andre,

Sure. RJ Text Ed, Notepad++, and TextPad are some editors that come to mind. There are times it is easier to have two similar documents opened and synchronize the scrolling as opposed to having a new compare window pop up.

Regarding the icons, I probably should have phrased things along the lines of "if you are bored and looking for something to do..." :)

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 8 Sep 2013 08:17 
Hi,

In Notepad++, for what I tested, it allows a synchronized view when you have two (different) documents stacked side by side. Twistpad does not support this side by side view of different documents (unless set manually the editor windows since Twistpad is a MDI application)

In RJ I did not find this option, and I did not test on TextPad.

You can always compare 2 different documents using the compare tool, which have a synchronized view

I prefer, if possible, that you describe on what would be the scenery or scenery's that makes you use this particular feature of synchronized scrolling on different documents.

Thanks,

André Santos

Eric
#7 | Posted: 12 Sep 2013 07:29 
Hi Andre,
I apologize for the delay.

For RJ,

1. Open (2) documents.
2. Right click on a tab and select Move to Right View
3. Click the Window menu and select synchronize scroll

It's hard to describe why, but I'll do my best. Some of it is habit from working with other editors in the past.
There are times I work with documents that are similar to each other but different. In these cases, it's easier to hit synch scroll to search for something I am looking for in one documesnt and then copy and paste it over to the other document. In cases like these, going the compare route requires more steps. That's a primary my use for such functionality.

Regarding "Twistpad does not support the side by side view ... since Twistpad is a MDI application)," can I have you clarify that statement? Are you saying it's not possible programatically to have a split view like the one below from N++ (I know RJ is a Delphi MDI app as well that can display documents in this way)? Or that Twistpad is not currently architechted to handle this type of view? Just curious.

Thanks again,
-Eric

Andre Santos
Carthago
#8 | Posted: 12 Sep 2013 16:13 
Hi,

Thanks, I see the use for synchronize scroll.

As a MDI application you can have different documents side by side, Twistpad just hides a bit the MDI part making it resemble a native tabbed application.

Try this: with 2 documents loaded in Twistpad, Click the Menu Window, then Tile horizontal. You should get both documents side by side minus the sync scrolling.

Making the tab split like in the Notepad++ application is possible, but with a MDI interface i don't really see the gain (the effort to do could be high).

I can had an option, to each document, that will flag which documents are synchronized.
The side by side view can be archived with the Window tile (So you could even have 4 or more synchronized documents)

Let me know what you think
Thanks again,

André Santos

Eric
#9 | Posted: 14 Sep 2013 16:33 
Hi Andre,

While I do find the split view from the other editors more astheically appealing compared to the tiled views in Twistpad, I also understand your point of view.

Back on topic, your description on doing the synchronized documents with the tiled horizontal and vertical views will definitely work for me :)

Having played around with the tiled views (primarily vertical), I have some functionality thoughts for your consideration.

1. Implement a better way to leave a tiled view. Using screenshot below with two documents open as an example. To leave the Tiled Vertical view, I would have to double click on one the title (untitled1* or aliases.txt) bars to go back to the normal tabbed (non tiled) view.

2. Having two windows open. Continuing on from the screenshot example above, say I close aliases.txt. The current behavior leaves untitled1 as a split window. I would expect for it to go back to a regular tab view (non tiled).

3. Having three or more windows open Let us start with the screenshot below with three windows open.

Say I close PSv4.txt, I am now left with the following screenshot.

I would expect untitled1 and aliases.txt to automatically resize to fill in space that was left when PSv4.txt was closed. I currently have to select Tile all document windows vertically again fill in the empty space.

Thanks for listening,

Eric

Andre Santos
Carthago
#10 | Posted: 15 Sep 2013 04:33 
Hi,

Thank you for you thoroughly explanation for this suggestion.

Twistpad uses the internal Windows Multiple Document Interface (MDI) architecture by default, so the behavior you described is what is expected for MDI applications.

In your samples, you seem to suggest some kind of automatic tile feature, which at this point is not something I would like to invest. I would suggest add a shortcut to the Tile command and use on a per need basis.

Thanks,

André Santos

Eric
#11 | Posted: 15 Sep 2013 05:43 
That's fine. Icon added to the toolbar.

Thanks.

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Feature suggestions

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.