DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /  

DeskTask Win7 100% CPU Workaround

m35
#1 | Posted: 8 Jan 2012 08:04 | Edited by: m35 
When I installed Win7 two years ago I was sad to find DeskTask would max out a CPU when the desktop was focused. Since I often hit 'Show Desktop' right before walking away from my computer, it would be spending a lot of time taxing my CPU.

Luckily I found a work-around. I recently changed some computer settings, and the CPU issue returned. Spent a few hours trying to figure out what I did two years ago, so I thought I would document it here in case I forget again, and for others' benefit.

While I'm bummed DeskTask has this problem while Rainlendar and Yahoo! Widgets don't, I can't argue with free. Thank you for making the best desktop widget for Outlook.

Issue:
When "Use alternative method to pin to the desktop (Aero)" is enabled, whenever the desktop has focus, the DeskTask process will utilize 100% of a CPU core. This also seems to occur all the time with v1.1.

Reproducibility: Always

System Info:
DeskTask versions: 1.1, 1.2
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit
Version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 260 Processor, 3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU Manufacturer: Nvidia

Workaround #1:
Open the "Performance Options" dialog and deselect "Enable desktop composition".

Restart DeskTask, open the options and deselect "Use alternate method to pin to the desktop (Aero)". Restart DeskTask again.

Workaround #2:
Right click the DeskTask program and select Properties. Under the Compatibility tab select "Disable desktop composition".

This will disable desktop composition only when DeskTask is running.

Restart DeskTask, open the options and deselect "Use alternate method to pin to the desktop (Aero)". Restart DeskTask again.

DeskTask Carthago Software forums / DeskTask /
 DeskTask Win7 100% CPU Workaround

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.