Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Find window

Eric
#1 | Posted: 3 Sep 2013 19:22 
Hi Andre,

I have some thoughts regarding the Find/Replace dialog windows.

I use the Find All and Highlight All options regularly. However, clicking the More button and then selecting Find All or Highlight All is not the most efficient method for regular use.

Rather than requesting to have more buttons added and clutter the default Find window, here are some thoughts I have:

1. Have the More button modified to behave like the Replace button. So if I click on the More button, the dialog window changes and presents the buttons for Find All, etc.

2. Or maybe have an option in Preferences to display a more detailed Find window with Find All, etc. instead of the current one?

3. Another option that I really like in other editors would be to have Find/Replace appear at the bottom of the editor. I figure this option will take more time implement (maybe in a future version release?). I am attaching a screenshot from RJ TextEd to show what I mean.

Thanks for listening and thanks again for a great editor.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 4 Sep 2013 17:14 
Hi,

Thanks for you thoughts on the find dialog.

The basic idea behind the design of the find dialog was simplicity as I'm not at all a fan of cluttered dialogs. This example shots of the RJ TextEd with all those controls is something I wanted intentionally to avoid. At a first glance, I have no idea of what those buttons mean, I find that a lot of options for such a simple task as searching, may be distracting, hence a simpler and uncluttered dialog.

for your 1st and 2nd suggestions I'm not very much inclined at this point, however since you regularly highlight your search's it makes sense to had an option (after the RE option) to automatically highlight all occurrences after each search.

for the third suggestion, the Firefox like docked search, you can archive that already customizing the user toolbar with the Find Bar. The Find Bar uses the last set options from the search dialog.

Personally I just use the search dialogs to search for regular expressions or to Find in files. The incremental search feature with the Quick Search totally satisfies my text search needs.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Eric
#3 | Posted: 6 Sep 2013 06:36 | Edited by: Eric 
Hi Andre,

I agree with wanting to keep simplicity that is why I was thinking of having the option (i.e. View->Preferences->Editor or something like that and select a check box) might be a possibility. That way it is there for folks who might prefer it, but disabled by default.

Regarding the highlight option, thanks. Doing some more thinking, I came up with another idea. I was was wondering what your thoughts would be to adding a Find All/Highlight All combination option to the More drop down box? The other thought I had was adding Find All/Highlight All as a choice under Options on the Find window, but adding more items in the Options window starts to push the boundry of keeping the Find window clean.

Regardless of how you decide to proceed, thank you for your willingness to listen and constructive responses :)

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 8 Sep 2013 08:39 
Eric wrote:
I was was wondering what your thoughts would be to adding a Find All/Highlight All combination option to the More drop down box?

If I had a "Automatically Highlight" option, and this option is set, the "Find All" all relevant words should also be highlighted. A "Find and Highlight" combo option seems unnecessary to me with this new option.

Thanks,

André Santos

Eric
#5 | Posted: 8 Sep 2013 09:30 
Hi Andre,

How about I start over with my last request regarding the Find All / Hightlight idea. First, I apologize for my *really* poor attempts of trying to explain what I have been thinking. I managed to even confuse myself in the process. I think it has finally clicked with me on how to say things.

When using Find All in RJ Text Ed, I had become accustomed to having the search term highlighted. Having the search term highlighted made it easier on my eyes to separate the text in the Search Results window. In Twistpad, the search term is in bold text. While I can separate the text, the ability to change the serch term color/add a highlight would be helpful.

From looking at the Preferences -> Editor -> Colors section, you have an option for Output text which can be modified. Would it be possible to add an option for Search Results Text?

Once again, I apologize for the confusion.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 8 Sep 2013 15:52 
Hi Eric,

Oh I see. you mean the highlighting in the results window, not in the editor.

I can add an option to customize that, I don't see why not, or I can use, optionally, the same background color as the search highlight in the editor. What do you think?

Thanks and sorry for the confusion,

André Santos

Eric
#7 | Posted: 8 Sep 2013 18:27 
Hi Andre,

You have nothing to apologize for. The confusion was all caused by me thinking and not verifying before I asked for something :)

I think either option will be fine for highlighting in the Search Results window. So I say go with the option that is the easiest.

Thanks.

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Find window

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.