Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Status Bar display of line, column, and character?

Donald Johnson
#1 | Posted: 27 Oct 2012 18:38 
I am using Twistpad version 2.3 and have a question and possible bug report.

On the status bar line, one of the areas displays the line "Ln" and column "Col". After these is "Ch". Is this supposed to be the character under/at the cursor? What I see is Ch = Col - 1. For example at column 7, Ch is 6.

Is this a bug? Or, is what it's supposed to do?

I think Twistpad is great .. lean and powerful, and a good price. Thanks for the fine editor.

Donald.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 08:52 
Hi Donald,

Thanks for your comments on Twistpad, they are highly appreciated.

The "Ch" on the status bar represents the actual character count on the line instead of the column.

Basically it's for tab oriented editing, where if a tab corresponds to 4 spaces it would be something like, for lines a & b:
a) (8 spaces)(cursor)
b) (tab) (tab)(cursor)

Status bar would be something like:
a) Col 9 Ch 9
b) Col 9 Ch 3

However in fact you are right, on "space" oriented editing, both col and char should have the same value and both should start from column 1. I've fixed that for the next version.

Thank you again.

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Donald Johnson
#3 | Posted: 28 Oct 2012 18:22 
Thanks for the quick reply.

Maybe I could turn this into a feature request then.

Could the character at the cursor be displayed on the status bar line? In lieu of a hex edit/display mode this would be useful.

Recently I had an error with some html included in an xml xslt stylesheet. There was a non-breaking space &xA0; that I couldn't see in Twistpad. I had to use one of those other editors.

Thanks,
Donald.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 08:44 
Donald,

Thanks for your suggestion.

for the upcoming Twistpad 2.4, a new Status Cell has been added to the status-bar with the current value of the character the cursor is in.

If possible, please send me a sample file with the non-breaking space so I can test to see if this is detected in the cell
Send to: support@carthagossoft.net

Thank you

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Status Bar display of line, column, and character?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.