Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Suggestion: Add optional user defined keys to jump out of smart brackets

Jon
#1 | Posted: 3 Jun 2012 19:28 
I really like the smart brackets feature. However, the only way to move the cursor out of the auto-placed matching end bracket is to press the right arrow and move the cursor past it.

The right arrow isn't the most convenient key as it requires you to move your hands from the home row slowing typing.

I propose that you add an option to assign two user defined hot keys to:

1) jump to just before (left of) the current start bracket and
2) jump to just after (right of) the current end bracket

These should work regardless of where the cursor is positioned between the brackets.

Not only would this let your fingers to stay on home row, but also pressing them in succession would allow you to quickly jump either forwards or backwards out of nested brackets which I think would be very useful.

For me, I'd assign Ctrl-. and Ctrl-, for example.

Anyway, just food for thought. Perhaps you might consider it for a future version. I hope 2.3 is coming along nicely. Cheers, -J.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 4 Jun 2012 13:11 
Hi Jon,

Thanks for you feedback.
Glad you like the smart brackets feature.

Something like what you propose, a couple of shortcuts to jump out of the brackets could be done, however it certainly isn't something I would personally use or need. But I'll definitely consider it for upcoming versions

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Daniel Walker
#3 | Posted: 9 Jun 2012 09:05 
FWIW I'd use it quite often

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Suggestion: Add optional user defined keys to jump out of smart brackets

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.