Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Switching from MulitEdit - Features Missing

danial gibson
#1 | Posted: 30 Jan 2007 18:24 
I've been looking for a replacement to MulitEdit which I've been using for years. Every editor I've looked at has something that prevents me from switching. Twistpad seems to be the most promising, except for a few issues:

a) Virtual spaces - when you move the cursor past the end of the line, it keeps on going - it doesn't move down to the next line. I often use this method to scroll the window sideways. In Twistpad, I have to first go down to the long and then go sideways. In MultiEdit, I can just go sideways.

b) Bookmarks - I can press F4, move to some other part of the file, press F4 again (I can do this any number of times). I can then press Shift-F4 to go back to the last bookmark, Shift-F4 to go back again, etc.

c) The project control is really cool (MultiEdit doesn't have this). Unfortunately, it is a bit hard to use. I can't rename a project/file by pressing F2 (I don't know if I can rename at all). I can't select a bunch of files and drag them to another folder. I can't create a folder by pressing Insert (I have to do it in the organize dialog). I can't delete a file/folder by pressing Delete.

d) Where are the settings stored? Once I've customized it to work the way I like, I'd like to copy the config file to another computer/virtual machine so I don't have to set it up all over again.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 3 Feb 2007 15:47 
Hi,

Please note that while ideas taken from other editors might happen, there is no intention whatsoever of making Twistpad a clone of the X editor.

danial gibson wrote:
a) Virtual spaces - when you move the cursor past the end of the line, it keeps on going - it doesn't move down to the next line. I often use this method to scroll the window sideways. In Twistpad, I have to first go down to the long and then go sideways. In MultiEdit, I can just go sideways.

Virtual spaces means that you can move the cursor even if there is no text, so it makes sense that the cursor continues after the end of the line. Maybe you are looking to another feature, what you say "when you move the cursor past the end of the line, it keeps on going - it doesn't move down to the next line" that is the behavior with virtual spaces off.

danial gibson wrote:
b) Bookmarks - I can press F4, move to some other part of the file, press F4 again (I can do this any number of times). I can then press Shift-F4 to go back to the last bookmark, Shift-F4 to go back again, etc.

Multi-edit must have some kind of stack bookmarks feature. Twistpad does not support this type of bookmarks, just the standard type; bookmark lines (a small flag is placed on the gutter) and easily cycle between the bookmarked lines with a customizable shortcut.

danial gibson wrote:
c) The project control is really cool (MultiEdit doesn't have this). Unfortunately, it is a bit hard to use. I can't rename a project/file by pressing F2 (I don't know if I can rename at all). I can't select a bunch of files and drag them to another folder. I can't create a folder by pressing Insert (I have to do it in the organize dialog). I can't delete a file/folder by pressing Delete.

The Project feature of Twistpad has indeed some shortcomings and will be improved in upcoming versions.

danial gibson wrote:
d) Where are the settings stored? Once I've customized it to work the way I like, I'd like to copy the config file to another computer/virtual machine so I don't have to set it up all over again.

Like in the majority applications for Windows, the settings are stored in the Registry in the branch :
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Carthago\Twistpad
You can export this branch and import the exported file on another computer.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

danial gibson
#3 | Posted: 3 Feb 2007 22:04 
Andre Santos wrote:
Virtual spaces means that you can move the cursor even if there is no text, so it makes sense that the cursor continues after the end of the line. Maybe you are looking to another feature, what you say "when you move the cursor past the end of the line, it keeps on going - it doesn't move down to the next line" that is the behavior with virtual spaces off.

It must be a bug then? In 1.56 SR1, with "show virtual spaces" unchecked, pressing the right arrow moves the caret until it reaches the end of the line and it then wraps to the start of the next line.

With "show virtual spaces" checked, the behaviour is the same, except that now when I click the mouse past the end of the line, the caret goes past the end of the line. Pressing the right arrow keys wraps the caret to the start of the next line.

I think with "show virtual spaces" checked, pressing the right arrow key is meant to move the caret past the end of the line, but it does not.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 4 Feb 2007 04:42 
danial gibson wrote:
It must be a bug then? In 1.56 SR1, with "show virtual spaces" unchecked, pressing the right arrow moves the caret until it reaches the end of the line and it then wraps to the start of the next line.

Hi,

Thanks for that, it was indeed a bug and is fixed for the next version.

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Switching from MulitEdit - Features Missing

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.