Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Interesting! Potential! :D

pp7796
#1 | Posted: 23 Jul 2006 08:56 | Edited by: pp7796 
Hi,

I just happened to know Twistpad when googling for some code editors.

I have some suggestions:

1. Can it have something like the "Indent Guide" in Notepad++? Not necessary displayed all the time, but should have it when the cursor is placed at a bracket. This way, programmer can easily sees the whole block of code in case it is too long. And, the way the editor displaying matching isn't clear enough. The matching bracket should be hilighted in some color like red to make it clearer.

2. Currently there's no shortcut key for "goto matching brace", isn't it? This should be implemented! :)

3. Shortcut key for source commenting is also helpful.

4. Currently Shift-TAB does not work for single line or single line selection.
Even TAB does not work when you select one line.

5. Open a file, type a character, Ctrl-Z: the editor still thinks the buffer is still "dirty". It should not.

Sorry for my bad English.

Mmm... that's it for now. More will be coming soon :)

Regards,
Thai Thanh Phong

P.S. It's kOol really! :p

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 23 Jul 2006 09:32 
Hi,

pp7796 wrote:
1. Can it have something like the "Indent Guide" in Notepad++? Not necessary displayed all the time, but should have it when the cursor is placed at a bracket. This way, programmer can easily sees the whole block of code in case it is too long. And, the way the editor displaying matching isn't clear enough. The matching bracket should be hilighted in some color like red to make it clearer.

I'm not sure what you mean by "indent tabs".
If your source is idented with tabs, turn on Tab on the show hidden char's option of preferences - editor - display. It will give you the indent guide look.

pp7796 wrote:

2. Currently there's no shortcut key for "goto matching brace", isn't it? This should be implemented! :)

In the default shortcut mappings, CTRL-M is used to match brace.
you can always customize this.

pp7796 wrote:

3. Shortcut key for source commenting is also helpful.

The thing is, Twistpad is a general source editor, it does not know what is the characters used to comment on the languages it supports, you can customize the shortkey to one of the built-in quote commands.

pp7796 wrote:

4. Currently Shift-TAB does not work for single line or single line selection.
Even TAB does not work when you select one line.

When more of one characters is selected, TAB acts as line indenter, you can switch this behaviour off by selecting other shortcuts on the Indent Block/Unindent Block commands

pp7796 wrote:

5. Open a file, type a character, Ctrl-Z: the editor still thinks the buffer is still "dirty". It should not.

Yes, Twistpad has no way of knowing if the file is back to the same stage it was when opening, a fairly amount of code would be required to make this work like you describe and i don't feel it's at all an important issue.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

pp7796
#3 | Posted: 23 Jul 2006 20:08 
Andre Santos wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "indent tabs".
If your source is idented with tabs, turn on Tab on the show hidden char's option of preferences - editor - display. It will give you the indent guide look.

Oh yeah. Great!!! I found them all. Terribly sorry about this! :p

Andre Santos wrote:
In the default shortcut mappings, CTRL-M is used to match brace.
you can always customize this.

Ctrl-M is for "selecting the whole block", not for jumping back 'n forth between 2 matching braces of a block. Hope you know what I mean :)

Andre Santos wrote:
The thing is, Twistpad is a general source editor, it does not know what is the characters used to comment on the languages it supports, you can customize the shortkey to one of the built-in quote commands.

Okay you're right! :p

Andre Santos wrote:
When more of one characters is selected, TAB acts as line indenter, you can switch this behaviour off by selecting other shortcuts on the Indent Block/Unindent Block commands

Mmm... Maybe I was not clear enough :)
You can try this: select *one* line, press TAB, the line is deleted! I think what most users expect is that the line will be indent one tab to the right.

Andre Santos wrote:
Yes, Twistpad has no way of knowing if the file is back to the same stage it was when opening, a fairly amount of code would be required to make this work like you describe and i don't feel it's at all an important issue.

Ok... not important but will give better convenience :) For the technical side I think it's not that hard to implement this behaviour. Can you try some editors like Notepad++, EditPlus, EditPad, UltraEdit, etc...? :)

Best regards,
_ttp_

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 24 Jul 2006 03:13 
pp7796 wrote:
Ctrl-M is for "selecting the whole block", not for jumping back 'n forth between 2 matching braces of a block. Hope you know what I mean :)

So you mean a Command for jump between Brackets. I got confused with the term shortcut which means combination of keys to an existing command.
Definitely will implement, not sure when.

pp7796 wrote:
You can try this: select *one* line, press TAB, the line is deleted! I think what most users expect is that the line will be indent one tab to the right.

With the default options in Twistpad I can't reproduce this.
If "Indent" command is set to TAB (default) this (should) not happen

Thanks,

André Santos

pp7796
#5 | Posted: 24 Jul 2006 07:37 
Andre Santos wrote:
With the default options in Twistpad I can't reproduce this.
If "Indent" command is set to TAB (default) this (should) not happen

Oh... Okay... Maybe I'm wrong. I know why this happens. For example, I have this line:

int i = j + 1;

First, I move the cursor to the beginning of the line,
1. Press Shift-END, I have selected the "whole" line. Press TAB, the selected text is deleted. But if I:
2. Press Shift-DownArrow, the "real whole" line is selected. Then, pressing TAB works fine.

Don't know which should be the normal behaviour of most users when wanting to do an indent like that :) I just find Notepad++ works the way I think it should be :)

Anyway, I really like this editor. Maybe I'll consider switching to it in a near future.

Regards,
_ttp_

Andre Santos
Carthago
#6 | Posted: 31 Jul 2006 11:18 
pp7796 wrote:
Oh... Okay... Maybe I'm wrong. I know why this happens. For example, I have this line:

int i = j + 1;

First, I move the cursor to the beginning of the line,
1. Press Shift-END, I have selected the "whole" line. Press TAB, the selected text is deleted. But if I:
2. Press Shift-DownArrow, the "real whole" line is selected. Then, pressing TAB works fine.

Don't know which should be the normal behaviour of most users when wanting to do an indent like that :) I just find Notepad++ works the way I think it should be :)

Sorry, even following your steps I can't reproduce this, as long there is a selection the tab always indents. Otherwise it works as the normal tab key

André Santos

pp7796
#7 | Posted: 1 Aug 2006 08:25 
Oh no! I'm lost!!!

Is my English too bad??

or I was crazy?? hic...

Anybody??

Andre Santos
Carthago
#8 | Posted: 1 Aug 2006 14:44 
Finally could reproduce this, it was when the indent using Spaces was not checked, this is fixed in the next version.

Thanks,

André Santos

pp7796
#9 | Posted: 2 Aug 2006 09:14 
Oh yes! That's it! Thanks :)

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Interesting! Potential! :D

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.