Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

ShellContextMenu13 crashes or opens multiple instances on large # of files

robertcollier4
#1 | Posted: 11 Jan 2013 01:10 | Edited by: robertcollier4 
I am trying ShellContextMenu13.exe, and when I select less than 5 files in Explorer and launch them via the ContextMenu it works fine. However, when I select a large amount of files, say 20 or 30 - and use the Context Menu - one or two errors happen(s):

1. Multiple instances of Twistpad are invoked even though "Allow Multiple Instances" is unchecked in Preferences.
2. When more than 20 files are invoked at once via Explorer Context Menu - I often get Error Message: "The exception unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812fd3."

The solution to this I believe would be to allow Twistpad to be passed filenames via DDE commands. Here is how Textpad does it (which has no problem opening any number of files at once from Explorer Context Menu) via having a "-s" switch on the EXE informing it to wait for DDE commands:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]
@="Textpad"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Textpad]
@="&Textpad"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Textpad\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\TextPad 6\\TextPad.exe\" -s"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Textpad\ddeexec]
@="[open(\"%1\")]"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Textpad\ddeexec\application]
@="TextPad.6"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Textpad\ddeexec\topic]
@="system"

Also from Textpad Help:
The following DDE commands are recognized. They are all part of the "system" topic.
Command: Function:
[open("filename")] Opens the specified file using the default code set.
[opendos("filename")] Opens the specified file using the DOS (OEM) code set.
[command(Append,"string ")] Appends the string to the active document.
[command(Insert,"string ")] Inserts the string at the cursor position.
[command(SaveAs,"filename")] Saves the active document with the given name.
[command(Save)] Saves the active document.

It would be nice if Twistpad would also be able to handle opening a large number of files at once from Explorer Context Menu. Often I like to hit Ctrl+A in a directory and open up all the files in the directory in a text editor. Thanks for a great product.

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 ShellContextMenu13 crashes or opens multiple instances on large # of files

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.