Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /  

Feature Request: Search Panel that lists clickable results with line #s

robertcollier4
#1 | Posted: 9 Jan 2013 15:53 | Edited by: robertcollier4 
This feature would very easily allow a person to see how many matched results the search has - and on which line numbers the search is matched on.

Here is a screenshot example of such (from Trianglos Keynote):

Requirements:
1. User could show and hide the search panel via a hotkey such as Ctrl+Shift+F.
2. Upon pushing Ctrl+Shift+F, the search panel would become visible with keyboard caret active on search field.
3. When pushing enter - it would search in all currently open documents and show results in a list. Each result would show the file in which it was found and its line number.
4. Clicking on any of the search results in the list would jump to that line number in that document.

robertcollier4
#2 | Posted: 9 Jan 2013 15:54 | Edited by: robertcollier4 
Here are the options for the same search panel from Trianglos Keynote:

Andre Santos
Carthago
#3 | Posted: 10 Jan 2013 15:48 
Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion, however the search results in Twistpad already provide the same functionality you suggested by displaying the file and the line number:

Unless I've missed something in your suggestion, it is already in the product.

Don't hesitate to comment.
Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

robertcollier4
#4 | Posted: 11 Jan 2013 01:39 | Edited by: robertcollier4 
Oh, fantastic! It was me who had "missed something". I have now set my "Ctrl+F" to "Find in Files" and checked "Search in current opened files" and it is giving the exact behavior desired.

Is it possible to use a shortcut key to hide a pinned "Search Results Window"? I know that "Alt+8" will show the window. But it would be nice if I could push "Alt+8" again to also hide the window. (toggle show/hide for a pinned window pane). I do not want to use "Auto Hide All Windows" because I want to leave the Workspace window visible and pinned at all times. I just want to use a shortcut key to hide the Search Results window. And then be able to use the same shortcut key to bring it back.

robertcollier4
#5 | Posted: 11 Jan 2013 01:51 | Edited by: robertcollier4 
Two more suggestions:

1. It would be nice if there would be a Preference for "Only one set of results at a time in Search Results Window". Then a new search would automatically clear and overwrite the old results. Also - it would be nice if in this mode the root tree node "Search for 'term'" didn't cause all the search results to be indented so heavily to the right causing major loss of screen display area for the search results. (I like to have my Search Results Window on the right in vertical mode).

2. It would be nice if the "focus" would always go to the "Search Results" pane after doing a "Find in Files" search so that user can use Up-Down arrow keys to select a search result and jump directly to it. Currently the keyboard focus goes to the Search Results Window after "Find in Files" only if the window is unpinned. If the Search Results Window is pinned - then the focus goes to some unknown place after a "Find in Files" search and I have to push either "Tab" or "Alt+8" to get the focus back into the Search Results pane.

Twistpad Carthago Software forums / Twistpad /
 Feature Request: Search Panel that lists clickable results with line #s

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.