MemInfo Carthago Software forums / MemInfo /  

RAM values in popup process list - always physical?

RAMpage
#1 | Posted: 30 Mar 2018 10:35 
First of all, thank you for your excellent program!

My question concerns the memory values displayed for each process in the context pop-up menu of the tray icon. They seem to be "physical memory" values. It also seems that the "Show page file instead of physical memory" option only affects the global totals - and NOT the per-process values. Is this correct?

If so, I think it would be more useful (and coherent) if the above setting affected all displayed memory values.

What I really want to see displayed (mainly per process) is what Process Hacker refers to as "Private bytes". There's a good chance that your "page file" values might be what I'm after, so that would be a very welcome change. Windows 7 (probably all) seems to consider that it's running out of memory based on the "Private bytes" (or equivalent) metric, which makes it the most useful value to watch.

Thank you once again!

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 31 Mar 2018 07:39 
hi RAMpage,

Yes, you are right, the process list always displays the process working set (physical memory) and indeed it makes sense all the values be coherent with the main option.

Will do that for next version.

The API MemInfo uses to retrieve the process memory does not have a "Private bytes" entry, so I'm not sure what is Process Hacker showing.

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

RAMpage
#3 | Posted: 31 Mar 2018 09:43 
Thank you for your prompt reply, André!

I'm not sure about what PH does either (it's open source though, IIRC). Sysinternals Process Explorer seems to also call that value "Private Bytes". Maybe Sysinternals RAMMap can clarify what they are referring to.

In any case, there's a good chance that your upcoming modification might resolve this issue, so I'll be looking forward to it.

Thank you!

RAMpage
#4 | Posted: 26 Apr 2018 06:20 
Just wanted to add that the new 3.43 version's "Page File" values are exactly what I was looking for - and what some aforementioned programs refer to as "Private Bytes".

Excellent work, thank you!

(Now, this is unrelated, but maybe the on-hover tooltip could also list the top memory hogs - the same way the context menu does? Not essential, but might be cool.)

Andre Santos
Carthago
#5 | Posted: 26 Apr 2018 09:19 
Hi,

Glad it was what you were looking for and thanks for taking time to inform us here.

As for the tooltip suggestion of the top memory hogs, the thing is, the tooltip as a word limit, so putting all 10 or so it would be cut, however showing maybe the top 3 process's or something along those lines could be doable, with an option. I'll think about it!

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

MemInfo Carthago Software forums / MemInfo /
 RAM values in popup process list - always physical?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.