MemInfo Carthago Software forums / MemInfo /  

Max 4GB displayed (32-bit limitation?)

Steven
#1 | Posted: 13 Sep 2015 07:18 
First of all, thanks for the program. Aside from this one issue, it is excellent, and it is very useful for keeping a quick eye on the memory status.

I've noticed Meminfo never shows more than 4GB use by an application. I'm assuming this is because it's a 32-bit program. Is that the case, and if it is, can you provide a 64-bit version? I see there's a post from 2010 stating that when a 64-bit Delphi compiler became available a 64-bit version of Meminfo would be, but that doesn't appear to have happened.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#2 | Posted: 13 Sep 2015 07:54 
Hi Steven,

Thank you for your comments and your query on MemInfo.

MemInfo supports detection of memory above 4GB even as a 32-bit compiled executable on 64-bit Windows

In my own system, with 8GB RAM, I tested going beyond the 4GB and you can see MemInfo reporting correctly a physical memory in use of 5,38 GB:

I guess it must be something on your system.

Yes, we have a Delphi 64bit edition now, but I've not yet found a reason to compile it to 64bit since it works well as a 32bit app on 64bit systems.

MemInfo uses an internal Windows function to retrieve the current memory usage, so it's irrelevant if it's a 32 or a 64bit Windows.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Steven
#3 | Posted: 13 Sep 2015 17:00 
I guess I should have been more clear. It does show total usage of >4GB, but per application it only shows up to 4. For example, my browser is using just shy of 7GB but MemInfo reports 4GB even for it.

Andre Santos
Carthago
#4 | Posted: 16 Sep 2015 09:40 
Hi,

Sorry, yes, I did not understand that it was memory usage per application, sorry.

I've tried to replicate and I'm struggling to even go beyond 1GB in an application let alone 4GB. Any tip on how to make a browser go beyond the 4GB? What browser are you using? how many sites open?

Thanks,

André Santos
Carthago Software Support
http://www.carthagosoft.net

Steven
#5 | Posted: 17 Sep 2015 18:56 
I'm using Pale Moon, which is a fork of Firefox which should, therefore, do the same thing theoretically. I frequently have 70+ tabs open, and sometimes 2-300+. For example, among others, I currently have ~90 Amazon tabs open, and without them even being loaded up (I just restored the browser and until I activate them they don't load) I'm at 1.16GB usage. Just open a bunch of Youtube, Amazon, Google Maps, Google Image search, etc tabs and you'll get there.

1024mb
#6 | Posted: 9 Dec 2018 22:22 
I'm having the same problem. You can try with 7zip and choose a high value on dictionary size.
Meminfo only shows 4GB and doesn't go beyond that. Please compile it to x64.

vertigo
#7 | Posted: 30 Mar 2020 22:19 
OP here. Looks like this is still an issue, and I've noticed another, related issue. Modern browsers use several processes, and each has its own memory usage. Currently, Firefox has eleven processes using a total of 5.4GB per task manager, but MemInfo shows firefox.exe [11] 2.4GB. However, if I uncheck the "Unify the same processes" option in the "Tray Menu" tab, then it shows each individual process with their own memory usage, which appear to more or less line up with what task manager shows, and when adding them up it's at least close to what task manager shows, certainly much more than 2.4GB. So even if it can't handle >4GB values due to being a 32-bit app (which really should be changed if that's the case), it could, in theory, at least add up the individual process values in the background and show that as the amount being used when the processes are being unified. It would be a pretty hacky way of doing it, but better than nothing.

GL1zdA
#8 | Posted: 3 Jun 2020 15:37 | Edited by: GL1zdA 
Same here. This is how it looks with unify:
with unify
this is without:
without unify.

It definitely doesn't add up.

MemInfo Carthago Software forums / MemInfo /
 Max 4GB displayed (32-bit limitation?)

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.